Saturday, April 27, 2019

Myths and Legends of Switzerland

Switzerland is a country known for its mountains and lakes. The magnificent Alpine range of mountains crosses thru this country and over 100 lakes are nestled in this land. The numerous mountains and lakes are replete with folklore on tails of the unseen and the mystery that these natural wonders hold.

Lake Dwellers

One of the famous lakes in Switzerland is Lake Zurich  situated in the city of Zurich itself.  The legend has that Zurich which is now considered one of the world's  most expensive, urban and high on happiness index cities was first home to people known as 'lake dwellers'. These people started  settling in Zurich around 4300 BC and built wooden houses which rested above the water level on wooden poles. Many artifacts confirming the existence of these people have been found from Lake Zurich and preserved in Meuseums. 

  1. Witch Craft

In Europe,  right from the classical era  (8-5BC) to the Medieval era (5-BC to 15 AD ) it was widely believed that witches existed. Anyone believed to be practicing witchcraft was persecuted with punishment as severe as execution of not just the women considered to be a witch but also of her rest of the family.

Witch-phobia and prosecutions for the crime of witchcraft reached a highpoint from 1580 to 1620 when an estimated 50,000 persons were burned at the stake or hanged of which roughly 80% were women, and most often over the age of 40. 


One such women was Michée Chauderon. She died  in 1652  and Swas the last person to be executed for sorcery in the city of Geneva.

She worked as a washerwoman and was accused of theft by her employer leading to an argument. The employer then reported her for having summoned a demon into the body of their daughter. Chauderon was arrested and interrogated. The so-called devil's mark was found on her body, and she was tortured. While undergoing the torture tecnique of strappado wherein the victim's hands are tied behind his or her back and suspended by a rope attached to the wrists, typically resulting in dislocated shoulders the she admitted that one day, she had met  the devil n her garden in the shape of a black man with the feet of a cow and he had promised her wealth if she denounced God, which she had done. She was then judged guilty of sorcery and sentenced to be hanged and burned.
The last person to be executed for practicing witchcraft in Switzerland was to be  Anna Goldi in 1782. Anna was 31 when she gave birth but her baby died the first night it was born She was pilloried which is a form of torture in which  the head and hand of a person are secured in holes of a device made of a wooden or metal framework erected on a postand. Following this she was sentenced to six years of house arrest.She  subsequently escaped and started working as a maid.

Göldi began working as a maid for the Tschudi family in 1780. Her employer reported her for having put needles in the bread and milk of one of his daughters, apparently through supernatural means.  Göldi was arrested and, under Torture admitted to entering in a pact with the Devil who had appeared to her as a black dog. She withdrew her confession after the torture ended, but was sentenced to execution by decapitation . 

Dragons of the Alps

The people of the villages rounder the Alps widely believed that Dragons lived in the alps. These were either serpents with a cat face or huge lizards with multiple tails. The people believed that whenever a dragon was spotted in the Alps, a storm followed.


Creatures of the lakes

It is widely believed that beneath the great lakes lie mystical creatures . These powerful beings can create havoc if disturbed.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody?
This post posted at this web site is really pleasant.

Anonymous said...

hey there and thank you for your info – I've certainly picked up something new from right here.
I did however expertise some technical issues using this site,
since I experienced to reload the website lots
of times previous to I could get it to load correctly.
I had been wondering if your hosting is OK?
Not that I'm complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will
very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if advertising and marketing with
Adwords. Well I'm adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a
lot more of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this again soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey very nice blog!

Anonymous said...

You have made some really good points there.

I checked on the net for additional information about the issue
and found most individuals will go along with your views on this website.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?

I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've
had problems with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform.
I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a
good platform.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Keep posting such kind of information on your site.
Im really impressed by your blog.
Hi there, You have performed an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and
in my view recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited
from this web site.

Anonymous said...

I got this site from my pal who shared with me about this website
and now this time I am browsing this site and reading very informative content at this place.

Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and
in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account
your blog posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

Anonymous said...

you are in point of fact a good webmaster. The site loading velocity is amazing.
It seems that you are doing any unique trick.
Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a wonderful process on this subject!

Anonymous said...

Why people still make use of to read news papers when in this technological world the whole thing is available on web?

Anonymous said...

Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my web site so i got
here to go back the want?.I'm trying to in finding issues to improve my site!I guess its good enough to use a few of your
concepts!!

Anonymous said...

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic
to be actually something which I think I would never
understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me.
I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I know this is kind of off-topic however I needed to ask.

Does managing a well-established blog such as yours require
a massive amount work? I'm brand new to writing a
blog but I do write in my journal everyday. I'd like to start a
blog so I will be able to share my own experience and views online.
Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers.
Appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

I know this site provides quality dependent posts and
additional stuff, is there any other website which presents these kinds of
things in quality?

Anonymous said...

Hello! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading through your blog posts.
Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same topics?
Thanks for your time!

Anonymous said...

Good day! I simply want to give you a big thumbs up for your
great info you have right here on this post. I'll be returning to your site for more soon.