A bicycle which I had bought in order to explore my neighbourhood better turned out to be hobby which offers me much more!
A few initial solo rides around the neighbourhood did familiarise me with places that I had not noticed earlier but it also got me to meet a group of cycling enthusiasts who love to travel long distances on bicycles.
Over a few weeks of cycling around with this group , helped me meet some really fine people, made me learn a lot about gear bicycles and how to use them and also about the basic essentials that you need to carry when cycling long distance.
Today, I was very pleased with myself as I completed a 27 kilometer ride with the group. We started out early in the morning at 6 am and rode at a leisurely pace , stopping midway for a piping hot cup of tea and great conversation at a road side stall.
Points to keep in mind while cycling:
1. Always wear a helmet - riding on roads with moving traffic requires that you protect yourself from any accidental injuries
2. Eye protection - shades or glasses are a must to prevent any foreign object from entering the eye.
3. A water bottle to keep yourself hydrated
4. A small emergency pump and flat tyre kit to fix a tyre while cycling.
5 . A first aid kit.
6. A good knowledge of gears to be applied according to the terrain on which you are cycling.
7. Light clothes, preferably cottons to absorb all sweat.
8. Eat a little snack before heading off for a long ride. Bananas are a instant energy booster!
9. Start early, so that you can avoid the scorching hot sun!
10. Preferably, be on roads with less traffic and lot of trees
Indeed, with these precautions riding can be a fun hobby to pursue and keep yourself healthy and fit!!