Sunday, August 19, 2018

Great Ocean Road Trip , Australia

On my Australia trip, I was satisfied to the core having seen the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns. However, another wonderful adventure awaited me on the trip as we headed to complete a road trip on the Great Ocean road.  The great ocean road has a lot of historical importance and is replete with interesting stops to be made throughout the stretch of the road.

The road is 243 kms long and stretches between the southeastern towns of Torquay and Allansford in the Australian state of Victoria. True to its name, most of the road has been built along the shore allowing a beautiful view of the Australian oceanside as you drive along this road.

Today it is a favourite route for Bikers in pursuit of long rides
Bikers on the Great Ocean road 

Bikers on great ocean road








Memorial Arch 

Memorial Arch , great ocean road. Starting point.


Historically the importance of the road lies in the fact that it was built by soldiers of the Australian army who hado fought the first world war and on returning back to their country were entrusted with the humongous task of constructing this road along the coast in state of Victoria. The road was built by about 3000 returned servicemen who built it as a memorial to their fellowmen who died in the first world war. 


Construction was done by hand by these ex servicemen using pick and shovels, explosives, wheel barrows  and small machinery at the time.Detonators were carried by these men on their knees as this was the softest ride possible for detonators at that time.


Driving along the great ocean road


Lorne,  Apollo bay and Port Campbell are the interesting stops along the way.

Making a pit stop along the Great Ocean road to soak in the beauty of the coast

Can't get enough of the shore

Lounging along the beachside

One of the main tourist attractions along the great ocean road are the 12 apostles. These are limestone stacks which are place close to one another off the Port Campbell National park off shore. Only 8 of these limestone stacks remain today as many have been eroded by the harsh southern ocean. These were formed as a result of constant erosion of the cliffs lining the ocean shore resulting in formation of caves initially and later these stacks.


12 Apostels

At 12 apostels



At the 12 Apostle site
It is possible to take a helicopter ride at the 12 Apostle site to get a birds eye view of the limestone stacks.
Beach sand 



The road is 2 way and the permissible speed limit varies between 50 kms per hour to 100 kms per hour along the way.



Beach side



Towards the end of the trip, the road meanders into rainforests leaving the shore behind. It is indeed a trip of a lifetime to be on this road and experience all the gorgeous stops first hand.




This trip was also special as I realised that this road is a haven for cyclists. It's smooth as butter, very scenic and thus loved by Bikers. I got to see many cyclist cycling with enthusiasm as we drove along the great ocean road. As a passionate cyclist, I myself take up long rides as far as possible in a week. As weekdays are a bit hectic as work responsibilities and every day chores need to be completed, I mostly try and do a 50-70 km ride on weekends. It is great exercise and a good time to bond with friends.


Update on my ride today: 30 kms , completed in 2 hours. The weather was great and supported the good average we achieved. Four of us rode together and made only one pit stop on the way.
Photos being clicked mid way during the ride.

With my gang

The 4 of us together

Happy riding and happy traveling people! Make your life meaningful! 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Link exchange is nothing else but it is just placing
the other person'swebpage link on your page at proper
place and other person will also do similar for you.

Anonymous said...

Hello mates, how is all, annd what you want to say regarding this piece of
writing, in my view its in fact remarkable in support of me.

Anonymous said...

Hello everybody, here every persaon is sharing these kinds
of experience, so it's good to read this weblog, and I used to visit this web site all the time.

Anonymous said...

It's not my first time to visit this site, i am
visiting this web site dailly and get fastidious data from here alll the time.

Anonymous said...

For latest news you have to pay a quick visit world wide
web and on the web I found this web site as a most
excellent web site for most up-to-date updates.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure esactly why but this web site is loading incredibly slow for me.
Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end?
I'll check back later and see if the problem sttill exists.

Anonymous said...

I feel this is among the most important information for me.
And i am satisfied reading your article. But should statement on few common things,
The web site taste is wonderful, the articles is truly nice :
D. Good activity, cheers

Anonymous said...

This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I've
found something that helped me. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I realize thi iis somewhat off-topic but I had to ask.
Does managing a well-established website like youds require a
massive amount work? I am brand new to writing a blog but I do write iin my journal daily.
I'd like to staqrt a blog so I can share my
experience annd feelings online. Please leet mee know if you have any
suggestions or tips for neew aspiring bloggers.
Appreciate it!